Posted: Thursday, February 28th, 2019
If you’re shopping for a new vehicle, you may be wondering, “Which is better, a sedan or SUV?” The answer depends on your price, space, and driving preferences. Both offer a variety of benefits, but you can only choose one. Green Light Auto Credit has compared sedans vs. SUVs below show you which body style offers more of the advantages you want!
Advantages of SUVs
Sport utility vehicles have come a long way over the years. They’re no longer boxy and awkward family haulers. Today’s SUVs succeed in being spacious and capable without sacrificing style, comfort, or technology features.
- Space: Compared to sedans, SUVs offer much more space for tall drivers, passengers, and cargo. Whether you’re heading out on a family road-trip or loading up on groceries, your SUV will provide enough room for everyone and everything.
- Utility: Most SUVs are built to tow, haul, and tackle harsh conditions with standard or available all-wheel drive. You can find all-wheel drive on some sedans, but not the ruggedness of an SUV.
- Ground Clearance: SUVs sit higher than sedans. This extra height improves outward visibility and performance off beaten paths.
Advantages of Sedans
Don’t need the extra space or towing power of an SUV? Sedans are great picks for drivers who value fuel economy, smooth handling, and affordability.
- Fuel Economy: Usually, the options for an economy sedan are a standard 4-cylinder engine and sometimes an optional V6. A lot of SUVs come standard with V6 engines, meaning they’re less likely to earn the high mpg ratings of a sedan.
- Responsive Handling: Going back to height — sedans sit lower to the ground, giving you better maneuverability during cornering and on narrow streets.
- Affordable Price-Tag: There are some mainstream SUVs that are on par with many sedans’ prices. However, on the whole, you’ll pay more for a mid-size or full-size SUV than you would for a mid-size or full-size sedan.
Compare Your Options with Green Light Auto Credit!
Weighing your options for a new or used vehicle? Green Light Auto Credit’s finance center can walk you through the buying process and give you advice on when to shop for your car. Contact us to speak with one of our experts and get answers to your car financing questions.
Back To Top