Posted: Tuesday, April 24th, 2018
One of the most common questions car shoppers ask us is, “When is the best time to buy a car?” Buying a new or used car is a large financial step, so it pays to have a solid plan for how much you’ll spend and when you’re going to shop. New and used car prices fluctuate throughout the month and year, depending on the season. If you put some thought into your next purchase, you may be able to shave a considerable amount off the cost.
Best Time of Year to Buy a Car
- Winter: Before winter arrives, many St. Charles drivers are busy preparing the vehicles they already own for the snowy days and icy roads ahead. This makes it the perfect time to shop for the car you want. If you spotted a spacious SUV or sedan in early fall or late summer, winter is the time to snag it. Additionally, the cold weather means there will be fewer shoppers in line for test drives.
- After the Holidays: Some of the biggest car sale and lease events take place around Christmas Eve. However, if you can wait until after the new year, you’ll probably see a wider selection of trade-in vehicles and lease turn-ins the dealership wants to sell onsite rather than cart off to auction.
- End of the Month/Year: At the end of the month or end of the year (October through December), dealerships are trying to sell as much of their inventory as possible. This is a great time to find a deal on a high-quality car.
- Tax Season: Expecting tax return? You can save it for a down payment and do your car shopping during one of the time periods listed above, allowing you to save more.
What to Do if You Need a Car Now
Can’t wait and need a car now? There are some steps you can take to ensure you get a reasonable price on your new-to-you ride:
- Visit the dealership on a Monday. On average, customers save the most on that day because there are fewer shoppers out searching for a car.
- Again, do your shopping at the end of the month or year. You’re more likely to find a lower price on the car you want than at the beginning of the month or year.
- Keep track of St. Louis dealer incentives like cash rebate offers.
Shop Ahead of Time to Get the Best Deal
While many customers only shop for a vehicle when it’s absolutely necessary, shopping ahead of time can help lock in a great price. If a salesperson knows you absolutely need a vehicle, it can put you in a bad bargaining position. They’re more likely to up the price, knowing that you’re more likely to pay it. Be sure to secure financing
before you visit the dealership as well. That way, you know exactly how much you can afford.
Secure Financing at Green Light Auto Credit
At Green Light Auto Credit, there’s never a bad time to finance your next vehicle. We offer competitive interest rates and advice for first-time buyers in Florissant and surrounding areas. You can even apply online for quick pre-approval. Contact us today if you have more questions about the best time to buy a car.
Back To Top